Thursday, 4 February 2010

New New Zealand Flag


I have been reading in the newspapers that there has been an interest in updating the flag of our beloved nation. I agree that although the current flag has served us well and been an identifying symbol on occations of both national and international significance it no longer serves as an accurate reflection on us as a people and our relationship to the world as a whole.

I have attached my contribution to the debate and though I'm not 100% happy over the result I will try and explain my reasoning as to the colours and content.

Firstly the colours: Living overseas as I do I have come to realise how unique certain colours are to our country. The blue of our sea is special and more so the greens of our native forest. These colours are the colours on my flag combined with the strip of white across the top... Our long white cloud.

The southern cross is meant not only as the flag's connection with our past but also shows our position on the globe.

And finally as a "KIWI" living overseas I feel that our native bird is a more significant symbol of who we are as a people when comparing us with the rest of the world. We are known as "Kiwis" plain and simple but it is also important to reflect over the fact that the bird itself has no ties to and therefore is independant of any specific sport. We are after all much much more than sports we partake in.

Below are more versions based on the same theme.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not going to be original this time, so all I am going to say that your blog rocks, sad that I don't have suck a writing skills

The Real Mr Nobody said...

Thanks... I bet you do