Friday, 16 April 2010

Octopus takes Camera

While reading one of my old home-town papers on-line I came across this article and video.
Its about an Octopus that took a divers camera for a joy ride and occurred in the area where I learned to dive... many many years ago ;)

Although I didn't have any experiences with an Octopus I did get to experience both playing dolphins and seals on 2 different occasions in that same area. Those in themselves were freaky but amazing experiences for a new diver. This is especially true for the day the Seals came and played... They used the kelp to hide in and came rushing out at us when we least expected it only to swim around us a couple of times and then go in and hide again. They did this all afternoon... you can bet that I got hooked on the diving thing :) The Dolphins on the other hand were just show-off's they swam around us hopping in and out of the water making us realise just whose element the water was... a humbling experience.

You can read the article concerning the Octopus ... here... in the Dominion Post.

The octopus escapades can be seen in the video bellow

1 comment:

Ann said...

lol - that is the funniest video I've ever seen.

I'm heading to fiji in a couple weeks and can only hope for a cool dive experience - although i wouldn't be brave enough to fight an octopus!